Thursday, June 4, 2009

Back to the Desert

March 25th!
Really?
That's pathetic.
There's no excuse.
Moving on.

So I'm home from dropping Cristalynn at the airport. She flies home today and I'm sad to see my oldest friend go. We've known each other since we were teeny little 17 year old freshmen. We had a great visit though and it was so nice to have someone to hang out with and talk to about creative endeavors and artists and art and gardens and perhaps most importantly, the future we each want to create for ourselves. I feel as though each of us are at a turning point in our lives, myself with an impending college graduation and reentry into the full-time-trying-to-make-something-of-yourself world and her in the midst of a career change. I find that unless you yourself have a passion for art (or some other typically right brained vocation), then it is very hard to explain how important it is to have it be a part of your day, everyday. And how when you haven't been creating at least something, then you feel not-quite-right and unfulfilled and you're just not you're usual laid-back, happy self. So it is very nice to have someone that can relate. And someone to "make stuff" with.
We had a great time visiting the McNay Art Museum and the Botanical Gardens, even though we almost melted in the South Texas sun. And she even introduced me to 30 Rock, which by the way, in case you haven't heard is by far one of the best shows on television. We watched the entire first season in a span of 48 hours I think. I hadn't laughed that hard in a very long time. She helped me get my studio in order and helped me organize my photos and actually put them into albums! Major accomplishment. And I taught her how to carve stamps and work with water soluble oil pastels. All in all, we had a great visit and although being between jobs is hard, I'm thankful that we had the opportunity to spend that time together. When else would you be able to take off for three weeks unless you were unemployed?!

No comments: