Friday, June 19, 2009

So Much to Entertain

Have you all seen Pride and Prejudice? The one with Kiera Knightly and Matthew McFayden that came out a couple years ago? Well, if not then you need to Netflix it right now, or OnDemand it or old-fashioned Blockbuster it-- whatever it is you do, get your hands on it and watch it because it is one of the best love stories ever and this film has a gorgeous score and amazing scenery. Just beautiful. Anyhow, there's a scene in which Jane is trying to convince her sister that she is over the boy who jilted her months earlier and she tells her that "London is so diverting. There's so much to entertain." Well that's what my life is like right now. There is just so much going on and so much I want to do and take advantage of and experience this summer. That is, aside from the 102 degree weather.
First, I want to share our newest addition. And no, I'm not expecting. In fact, I purposely have stopped drinking the water because every girl I know it seems is having a baby. Anyhow, D and I were exploring a local furniture store a few weeks ago and stumbled across this artist's work. Not only were the pieces affordable, but D and I both really liked the work without either one of us launching into a sales pitch to persuade the other.

Unfortunately this photo isn't great, but I wanted to share right away. So that's our new painting leaning on our mantle next to an antique mirror that came with D and a black ceramic lantern I picked up in Cabo. There's also a sunset photo of the Catalina foothills in Tucson, AZ and a vintage photo of an estate on the edge of a cliff I picked up at an estate sale. I love it (the painting) in my living room, I think the blue and aqua play off the pumpkin walls well and there's just a touch orange to pop off the canvas.
Okay, very quickly, because I absolutely must go to bed- I've got school tomorrow, people! I wanted to share some little projects I've been working on. In an effort to make art-making a daily practice, I've been trying to complete some type of little project each day. So a couple nights ago I was curious to try a transfer/collage technique I had been tossing around in my brain. This is the result- it's about 5 x 7 inches and again not the greatest picture, but it's better than asking you to imagine, isn't it? (I'm having to rely on my iphone because I've got some iPhoto/camera issues going on.)

I'm pressing it right now to hopefully correct the warp that took place. The second collage I will share with you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Blissful Hue said...

I'm so happy you are updating your blog regularly! I love when you show things that you find interesting or that you have made. I was just going to call you and suggest you put your collage on your blog, and then I visit and its already up. I absolutely love the collaged and transfered images. I love how your work has many layers! -Cristalynn